August Monthly Feature: 5 in Jaxx
In the 5 years since I have moved to Jacksonville I have accomplished quiet a few things. Here are my top 5:
- Went to my first NFL game. It was the Jacksonville Jaguars vs. the Philadelphia Eagles and we lost. The weather got bad and we decided to leave at the end of the 4th quarter. A few weeks later I redeemed my first experience by going to the Jags vs. Colts game. I tailgated with friends and missed the first half of the game but watched the second half where the Jags won it with a game winning field goal. It was amazing! Everyone sang ‘Don’t Stop Believing” as we were exiting the stadium. A magical moment for me!
- Attended the world’s largest cocktail party: Florida/Georgia Tailgate. My family is made up of huge Florida Gator fans. We take our football very seriously. I kept hearing about how epic the Florida/Georgia tailgate in Downtown Jacksonville was from family members for years. So my first year living in Jaxx I decided to go. Like any normal football fan I brought beer to the tailgate but the people we were with had sweet tea vodka. How’s a southern girl supposed to resist that?! We managed to enjoy the tailgate up until game time. One of my sober and responsible friends got me home safely and I passed out shortly after half time for a nap. I woke up to the Gators winning which was an epic start to my Halloween weekend!
- Graduated from college with my Bachelor’s degree. (Woohoo! 5 years and 3 degrees later!) One of the best moments of my life was walking across the stage at UNF to get my Bachelor’s degree. (Or in this case a UNF degree holder sans degree.) I remember the day being a whirlwind: I woke up at 7am to get ready for Judd’s morning graduation and before I knew it was 4pm and I was gearing up for my own ceremony. As I crossed the stage I threw my fist in the air similar to Judd Nelson’s at the end of The Breakfast Club.
- Met my husband and got married. Moving to Jacksonville in a similar way to my now husband help us bond especially being from the same county. We grew up 30 minutes away from each other and went to rival high schools. But it wasn’t until Fall semester of my junior year of college that we would cross paths. The rest is history…or a story for another day. October 4th, 2014 we got married in front of family and close friends. Which reminds me, I have an anniversary to plan!
- Landed an advertising agency job, a goal of mine I had when I first moved here. One of the reasons why I moved to Jacksonville besides school was to take advantage of the opportunities this city had to offer in the job market. Having studied advertising in college I knew that I wanted to work in an agency environment. I was hired at my current agency about 9 months after graduating from college. The first year was by far the hardest but once I got acclimated I found how easy it was to fit in with the agency I work for. Plus my cofriends are pretty awesome making this job a fun one!