Writing is a pure joy of mine but like any writer I get stuck with writer’s block at times. When it comes to planning my blog posts ahead of time I find that a little inspiration can go a long way. What kinds of inspiration do I need to draft posts in advance? Here are a few things that inspire my posts and blog ideas.
Reading, Magazines & Books
I am always reading. Whether it be a book, magazine or another blog, I find that reading gets the gears turning to brainstorm new pieces for my own blog.
- Magazines: I focus in on article formats, topics and how the authors write each piece. I love reading Southern Living, Elle, Vanity Fair and Rolling Stone for inspiration.
- Books: I enjoy reading biographies especially about female comedians. They aren’t afraid to get into the details and share their most personal stories. These type of books motivate me to write personal pieces.
- Blogs: I read and follow a bunch of lifestyle blogs. It’s incredibly inspiring to be in a field with so many talented and creative bloggers I can’t help but be inspired!
Listening to podcasts
I enjoy good conversations and podcasts are a great way to get ideas for new posts. I love the process of interviewing people and finding out more about them. Here are a few I enjoy listening to:
- Free Cookies by Kate Fagan & Kathryn Budig
- Unqualified by Anna Faris
- Conversations from The Heart by Yoga Girl
- The Nerdist Podcast by Chris Hardwick
- WTF with Marc Maron
Like every woman out there, I love browsing Pinterest for new ideas. They have pins for everything including blog post ideas. If I feel stuck or cannot seem to brainstorm pen to paper, I get on Pinterest and start searching for pins of things I would like to write about.