Living in Florida has a lot of perks. It never snows here, the weather can be beach perfect even in December and Disney is right in our backyard. I grew up an hour east of Disney World so my parents had no problem getting us there for family trips. We didn’t go often as it is expensive but the fact that it was an hour drive away made it easier for us to get there.
Last year my husband and I were trying to come up with a joint 1st wedding anniversary gift that we could get each other. We wanted something we both could enjoy mutually. Since the 1st year of marriage is traditionally celebrated with paper we thought it would be a great idea to get Disney Annual Passes. Woah there, aren’t they expensive? Here me out for a second.
We were already going to Disney about once a month to see my brother who works there and meet my parents there who are also passholders. My brother could get us in free but we wanted to be able to go whenever we please and the benefits of being a passholder won us over.
We started off by researching if we would be able to get our money’s worth out of buying the passes. If we went to Disney once a month, parking alone would cost us about roughly $264. That’s $22 each visit to park. Park admission would be way more than that in a year! Disney has a great option for buying passes: you can put down a down payment of $219 and pay $75 a month for two people. Not bad if you plan on utilizing your passes! We opted for the payment plan and purchased our passes just in time for our trip to Disney for our anniversary. As we quickly approach our renewal time of year I thought I would share some benefits of being a Disney Annual Passholder and why it’s worth it.
Here are some of the great benefits we enjoy being Annual Passholders:
- You get MagicBands. These bands are not only your park admission but they can hold debit or credit card info making it easier to pay for food and merchandise while in the parks.
- Photopass downloads. Getting our pictures at the park is easier when we can just scan our MagicBands/Passes to download our photos from the day. That includes ride pictures as well.
- Parking is free for passholders. You just show them your passholder card and you are free to park! Typically parking is $22 for cars, and even more for buses and RVs. Save the money and get the passes just to park for free.
- Special Disney Events are discounted. We got our Not So Scary Halloween and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party passes for a little less than usual being passholders.
- You can buy special passholder pins for collecting. Events like Halloween and Food & Wine offer passholders unique event pins with the date on them. You have to get them early but it’s a great way to remember the event and when you went.
- The 10% discount on merchandise. It’s not much but it’s a nice little perk if we want to get our families/friends souvenirs from the parks.
- Special discounts on Disney Resorts throughout the year. Disney emails you throughout the year with any resort specials they are running. Since the hotels on property can get expensive these special discounts help us enjoy those resorts without breaking the bank!
As you can see there are many benefits to being a Disney Annual Passholder! We love our passes and being able to hop down to Orlando for the day or weekend is easy. If you would like more information about Annual Passholder Benefits and how to become one, check out Disney’s site here.
Do you have Disney Annual Passes? What’s your favorite thing about them? Share with us!