Besides the often present writer’s block I often find myself plagued with the trouble of staying productive and focused. With Netflix, a comfy couch and a cuddling dog sometimes it’s hard to get productive in the first place!
But it’s so easy to get side tracked when you are working on something. The internet is an endless pit of distractions! When it comes to staying productive, I tend to do the same things to stay focused and on top of my work. For my blog I have free time during the week and weekends to brainstorm, draft posts, edit photos and finalize posts so time is of the essence. So how do I stay productive?
- Write out a to-do list with deadlines. Nothing beats checking tasks off a list! I love to write out to-do lists for myself whether I am at work, packing for a trip or working on this lovely blog. It helps me visualize what needs to get done and how much time I have to do it in. I give myself realistic deadlines especially when it comes to this blog in order to achieve my goals.
- Put some music or a podcast on. If I have a lot of work to do I usually put on some music or a podcast to pass the time. There is something about working hard on something while listening to your favorite song or a podcast from your idol. Here are some podcasts I’ve been loving lately:
- The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick– Check out his recent interview with Samantha Bee of Full Frontal. She’s a riot!
- Girlboss Radio with Sophia Amoruso– I loved reading Sophia’s book, Girlboss so when I found out she had a podcast I jumped on the listening bandwagon. Her interviews are encouraging and full of advice for those of us who aspire to be girlbosses!
- Women of The Hour with Lena Dunham-This was a short series but well worth the listen. Each podcast is a new topic which Lena discusses with her guests. The final podcast is my favorite by far!
- Avoid distractions, work in a quiet room. This is easier at home than it is at work! I usually go up to my blogging loft (as I call it) to work on this blog. It’s a quiet room upstairs with no TV to disrupt my work. At work, I usually put in headphones if the office gets too loud that way I can tune everything else out and focus on my work. Set a designated space in your home for blogging or set a time where you will be alone to work.
- In true Park’s & Rec fashion: Treat yo self when you finish your work. I am all about working for the end reward. Whether it’s treating myself to take out Chinese after work or allowing myself a Target trip after I’ve finished cleaning the house, treating yourself helps keep the motivation to be productive alive!
What do you do to stay productive? Share with us!