When I started working in the office setting 3 years ago, I ate out frequently. $15 here and $20 there…my lunches got expensive and my bank account got sad. REAL sad! I had to get straight with myself and start packing my own lunch. Problem was that I was picky. I hated lunch meat sandwiches that sat in the fridge for 4 hours and got soggy. I had to really sit down and think about how I would approach bringing my own lunch to work or B.Y.O.L. Gone are the days of brown-bagged peanut butter sandwiches for lunch! Frozen meals are just straight up gross not to mention unhealthy. I had to get creative!
I couldn’t do meal-planning. Seriously, eating the same lunch 5 days a week?! Boring. I like to keep things exciting and interesting when it comes to my food. Making one meal for 5 days did NOT appeal to me! Sure it would be great to have every lunch packed and ready to go days in advanced but it just wasn’t my style.
I started making dinners for the week that I could use as leftovers for lunch the next day. Seriously the easiest way I could achieve B.Y.O.L was to bring leftovers. I would schedule dinners during the week that would guarantee us leftovers and package up lunch size portions in small containers. This became my go-to method to avoid frozen meals or the ever-so-boring PB & J. I made lots of pastas, tacos, wraps and chicken. All fairly healthy and all delicious the next day.
Here are 5 Reasons Why You Should BYOL (Bring Your Own Lunch) to Work:
- It saves you money. By BYOL-ing every day for a week you could save $50-$75 a week. That’s a lot of money you could throw into a savings account each week and save!
- It gets you to eat healthier. When I was eating out every day, I would eat fried, greasy and unhealthy foods. When you bring, you can choose to bring healthier options like salads or pita pockets with all sorts of healthy goodies inside.
- It forces you to portion control. When you pack your lunch daily you have a set amount of food to bring. That may just be a sandwich and a couple of snacks. It keeps you from over indulging that happens when you go to a restaurant and can order many different things.
- It saves you gas in your car. If you BYOL to work you have no need to drive anywhere. If you just can’t stand sitting in the office any more take your lunch outside if it’s sunny and warm. This allows you to save gas in your car and if your like me and commute to work, saving gas is essential!
- It gets you to eat the left-overs. I used to throw out so many left overs that we had in our fridge each week. Wasted meals meant wasted money. We had to make a change. When I make dinners, I keep in mind what meals are good left over so that I can bring it to work the next day.
Do you B.Y.O.L. to work?